Reading Mentors Needed In Charlotte Elementary Schools
One of the most important skills a child needs for success at school and in life is reading. It’s hard to believe that in 2017 a significant number of American students fall behind in such a crucial learning area, but it’s still happening. Almost 80% of low-income fourth graders in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools are not reading at grade level. Many kindhearted people volunteer their time as reading mentors, and that has been proven to help, but more tutors are needed.
January is National Mentoring Month, and Reading Partners is looking for adults to work one-on-one with struggling readers in under-resourced elementary schools. The goal is to help 250 kids become proficient readers by the fourth grade in the 2016-2017 school year. There are still more than 115 students waiting to be matched with mentors at these six local schools:
- Joseph W. Grier Academy – 8330 Grier Road, Charlotte, NC 28215
- Oakdale Elementary – 1825 Oakdale Road, Charlotte, NC 28216
- Sterling Elementary – 9601 China Grove Church Road, Pineville, NC 28134
- Stoney Creek Elementary- 14015 Mallard Roost Road, Charlotte, NC 28262
- Sugar Creek Charter – 4101 North Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC 28206
- Tuckaseegee Elementary- 2028 Little Rock Road, Charlotte, NC 28214
Interested? Please email volunteerNC@readingpartners.org or call (704) 941-0525.