The future looks bright for Jason Momoa. He has made more than a splash at the box office as the star of Aquaman. The Warner Bros.' superhero movie has generated a veritable tsunami of ticket sales.
Aquaman is well on its way toward $1 billion in worldwide receipts, and has already become one of the biggest movies featuring a DC Comics character. By next week, it will likely pass The Dark Knight to become the ninth-highest grossing superhero movie of all time. By the end of its theatrical run, Aquaman could rank higher than that. Not bad for a movie that only opened in the U.S. on December 21st.
Superhero movies, in general, are bigger than ever. Four of the ten highest grossing superhero movies worldwide were released within the past year:
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - $2,048,710,150
- The Avengers (2012) - $1,518,812,988
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) - $1,405,403,694
- Black Panther (2018) - $1,346,913,161
- Incredibles 2 (2018) - $1,242,598,825
- Iron Man 3 (2013) - $1,214,811,252
- Captain America: Civil War (2016) - $1,153,304,495
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - $1,084,939,099
- The Dark Knight (2008) - $1,004,558,444
- Aquaman (2018) - $940,720,800...and counting!