I don’t identify as a vegetarian, but I’ve been known to partake of the plant-based proteins. My first experiences with the meatless lifestyle happened in college when I dated a vegetarian. Fortunately, she was a good cook and knew where to get the best vegetarian food in Pittsburgh.
Later, when I lived in Austin, I got hooked on a particular sub made with some sort of mysterious mushroom patty. It tasted better than it sounds. To this day, my wife and I will whip up meatless meals at home and deflect our sons’ questions about what’s in them.
If you’re vegetarian or simply veg-curious, and you don’t have a lot of time allotted for lunch breaks, here are some meatless fast food menu items worth ordering:
- Burger King: MorningStar Veggie Burger – It’s basically a classic Whopper with a veggie patty instead of beef.
- Chipotle: Sofritas Burritos – Made with shredded tofu, this is one BIG burrito.
- Five Guys: Custom Grilled Cheese Sandwiches – Customize yours with toppings like mushrooms, jalapeńos, caramelized onions, and double cheese.
- Shake Shack: Shroom Burger – It’s a fried portobello mushroom stuffed with melted cheese. I’ll take two!
- Showmars: Beyond Burger – The plant-based patties are also available with hummus on the Beyond Vegan Pita.
- Taco Bell: 7-Layer Burrito – I’ve been a fan of this veggie burrito for years. It has a ton of flavor for only $2.50.
- Wendy’s: Cheese Baked Potato – Topped with shredded cheddar and a rich, creamy cheese sauce.