If you’re fully vaccinated against COVID-19, the CDC says you’re at low risk for contracting the coronavirus when traveling. Have you started planning a summer vacation? International travel is still discouraged, and it’s understandable if you’re a little hesitant to fly, so maybe an epic all-American road trip is what you need.
I didn’t like long car rides when I was a kid but as soon as I got my driver’s license, I was all in for seeing where my wheels would take me. I’ve crossed the country a couple of times and the U.S. is full of picturesque routes to take. Here are a few suggestions from Popsugar, including one in the Carolinas:
- Finger Lakes, New York – Enjoy clear blue waters, boutique inns, and local delicacies along the wine trail.
- Destin-Fort Walton Beach, Florida – My sister-in-law used to live there and we loved visiting that area. Some musts to experience include sugar-white sand beaches, vibrant emerald-green waters, and the small town charm.
- Estes Park, Colorado – You’ll feel like you’re off the grid near a national park with plenty of outdoor experiences to enjoy. Plus, it’s home to the Stanley Hotel (below), as seen in the 1980 film The Shining.
- Reno Tahoe, Nevada – Another favorite of mine. You can take in the largest alpine lake in the country, check out the arts scene, and maybe even do a little gambling.
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming – A wide range of activities include everything from whitewater rafting to wildlife safaris to fly-fishing to biking. Grand Teton National Park is just to the north.
- Newport, Rhode Island – Soak up the sea air, take a coastal tour, enjoy shopping and dining at Bowen’s Wharf (bel0w), and visit the elegant mansions, including one turned into a hotel.
- Rapid City, South Dakota – I stopped there when I drove across the country after college. Easy access to the Black Hills National Forest, Badlands National Park, and Mount Rushmore.
- Encinitas, California – Crank up the Beach Boys as you cruise around around this classic surf town and its beach.
- Greensboro, Georgia – Nearby Lake Oconee and Oconee National Forest offer outdoor activities galore.
- Charleston, South Carolina – One of the prettiest cities in America and the food is out of this world. Honestly, I could live there.