Pets can be very crafty, especially when food is involved. Years ago my dog Maxwell managed to hop up on a tall chair and snag a Bojangles biscuit off my bistro table. I left the room for about two minutes, and when I came back, all I saw was a Bojangles wrapper on my floor. Didn’t hear him at all! A video is going viral of a dog accidentally turning on a stove burner and starting a kitchen fire.
According to Newsweek, firefighters in Missouri recently got quite the surprise when they showed up to a house fire that was caused by a dog turning on a stove burner. When the firefighters arrived at the home, smoke and flames were billowing from the home. Two dogs were rescued at the home, and the homeowners were reportedly away at the time. Flames were extinguished and no injuries were reported.
During the investigation into the fire, authorities accessed security video from the home. The video shows one of the homeowners’ dogs standing on its hind legs and accidentally turning a stove burner on. Apparently the homeowners left a pan on the stove that contained food and grease from a meal the night before. When the dog hopped up to smell the food, it turned on the burner.
In the video you can see the grease from the pan of food exploding on the stove. The fire completely ruined the entire kitchen.
The homeowners, who declined to speak to the media, said they wanted to share the video as a warning to others. Officials warned folks that new appliances with touch controls can be dangerous. People should activate safety controls if available to protect animals and children from accidentally causing a fire.