Ready to fill your belly with a delicious homemade chicken pie? Sheri, from the Bob & Sheri show, has a great recipe that is sure to hit your tastebuds right.
- 4-5 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, small dice
- (OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup chopped fresh green beans OR green peas)
- 1/3 cup fresh finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped thyme OR 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- Meat from 1 Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 egg yolk beaten with a tbsp of water (to brush crust)
How to Make It!
Preheat the oven 375. First, you’re gonna pre-bake the bottom crust so that it doesn’t get soggy. Place 1 ready-made crust in the pie dish. Beat egg with a spoonful of water; brush crust, pierce lots of times with a fork, bake in oven about 12- 20 mins.
While that’s pre-baking, melt butter in a large non-stick pan. Medium-high heat. Sauté onions, celery, carrots till almost tender – you want a bit of crispness – maybe 5 mins. Season with a generous grind of pepper and salt. Add chicken. Sprinkle flour over this, stir while cooking, about 2, 3 minutes. Pour in the stock/broth, and stir. Drop the heat down to medium and let the mixture thicken up – maybe 5 minutes. Add the optional green veggie, turmeric, and thyme. Stir in the chicken and cream. Taste & if needed, adjust the salt and pepper. Simmer till thick and rich – if TOO thick, splash in a bit of broth.
Stir in chopped parsley. Pour hot filling into the pre-baked crust. Carefully cover with remaining crust, crimping the edges. Brush with remaining egg wash. Cut 4 slits in the top crust to vent steam. Bake for roughly 25-30 minutes. (slide a cookie sheet underneath to catch any drips. just in case. who wants a mess?) Let cool for a few minutes – makes it a bit easier to slice. Enjoy!