A crime may have been committed in Arkansas last week. Here are the facts:
- Keegan Byars and a friend were staying at a hotel in Benton, Arkansas.
- Mr. Byars bought two cheeseburgers at a gas station.
- He ate one and put the other on the nightstand.
- When he fell asleep, the burger was there. When he woke up, it was gone.
- The friend claimed not to have eaten it.
- Keegan called the Benton Police to report that his cheeseburger had been stolen.
- When the police arrived to interview Byars about the alleged crime, they noticed that he was “extremely intoxicated.”
Time to play detective. Here are some possibilities:
- Keegan Byars’ friend lied about eating the cheeseburger.
- The drunken Byars ate the second burger in the middle of the night and didn’t remember.
- Housekeeping came in to clean the room, didn’t notice sleeping Keegan, and threw the cheeseburger away.
- A hungry raccoon entered the room and made off with the cheeseburger.
- Someone broke into Byars’ room and stole it.
What do you think happened? My money is on one of the first two scenarios. Either the inebriated Keegan Byars ate it himself and simply couldn’t recall, or his friend isn’t be entirely honest.