Do you or someone you know need a computer? According to the Charlotte Observer, adults in Mecklenburg County who qualify can get a free laptop from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library on a first-come, first-served basis.
As part of its MeckTech program, the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library is offering 20,000 refurbished laptops free of charge to eligible residents starting Thursday, January 19. The goal is to lower the number of Charlotte households without computers and online access.
Each computer comes with “preloaded productivity and education applications.” Internet service is not included, but the laptops are WiFi-ready. Applications are available on the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library website. Here are the eligibility requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a Mecklenburg County resident.
- Provide proof of a Mecklenburg County address.
- Have a photo ID with an identification number.
- Have an active email address.
- Sign a statement saying you would not otherwise have the technology necessary to meet your educational and informational needs.
The laptops will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. https://t.co/HEkQwiLacP— The Charlotte Observer (@theobserver) January 18, 2023