Primary Menu

Holiday Traditions with K104.7

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

There’s nothing like the look and smell of a fresh-cut live Christmas tree in your home during the holiday season. But there’s one very important thing you need to remember once you put that tree in its stand: WATER IT!

According to the National Fire Protection Association, under-watered Christmas trees dry out quickly causing the needles to turn brittle and become fuel for a potentially deadly house fire. You should also make sure lights and extension cords are in good shape. And be sure not to place your tree too close to a fireplace or portable heater.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission conducted a live Christmas tree burn to demonstrate how rapidly a dry Christmas tree can ignite, as compared to a well-watered tree, which burns at a much slower rate. Watch and learn: